Tuesday, September 4, 2012

WHO IS "TANGERINE"


That was my first thought when I first heard of Tangerine. But being away from the local music scene, since my last days engineering sound for Sass/West at Bill Ashes and other prominent venues , any new band that emerged from then on I was oblivious to. Not to mention I took on a college career, started a painting business and recorded my 1st Solo CD "No More Pain" so I think I was very absorbed with 8 years of learning, making a living and recording without checking the new music scene.    Shame on me Huh!!       But so far today what I have learned is that........

 

Tangerine began in 1998 as an "every once in a while" side project, though it quickly grew to become something special for band members and followers alike.
 


Rockin the Ash Can

Bass player Lou Spagnola and guitarist Bill Plourde, both of the band Fortune, teamed up with drummer/singer Paul Soares and guitarist Tony Maggio to play the types of songs that had inspired them to become musicians. Shortly after, keyboard player John Wadkins had a free night so he came by to "sit in" for a few songs. He ended up playing the whole night, and quickly became a permanent member.

 


Tony Maggio





I have known about many of our local artists in 1988 and Bassist Lou Spagnola was one I knew from hearing him play at the "ASH CAN" covering for Vernon West that Lou would excel with his talents. We know true artists don't ever give in. I know from experiences of 2 divorces and many heartache choosing music over....well never mind that. This is what I further learned about Tangerine.

 


With each performance of the unforgettable music from the greatest classic rock bands, the aim of Tangerine is to play the songs by Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Beatles, and Pink Floyd as close to the original recordings as possible. They key ingredient was to mix in some of the less obvious but still easily recognizable songs, while always attempting to bring an "I can't believe they are playing this!" vibe to every show. Some examples: "Golden Slumbers" by the Beatles, "Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac, "Funeral For A Friend" by Elton John, "Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin, "Breathe/Time" by Pink Floyd, "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel, "Kid Charlemagne" by Steely Dan, and "Kings and Queens" by Aerosmith. The remainder of the night is rounded out by the type of songs typically found on a WBCN playlist during their prime years. The best classic rock of all time? You better believe it!



 
Stevie Les Paulson and Lou Spagnola in
"The Breakfast Show")
  

With over 150 shows under their belt, Tangerine will celebrate their 15th anniversary in March of 2013. After 15 years, no one is looking to stop at any time soon. Ask the guys in the band if they have a favorite show, and the answer would very likely be, "The next one!"


I'm always lookin for that photo op. lol
Blue Tiger show at Ashes w/Vinny and Lou







 Well as of right now I have not had the pleasure of a Live "Tangerine Experience" I'm in Revere/Boston area usually every 2 months I trip up for 2 weeks. So I unfortunately missed the show ....But....I have known Lou Spag now for many a years and trust me I say it goes without saying the show is a guarantee for everyone to enjoy.......... .here are a lucky few that did make it and this is what they had to say!!!!!

:::::::::Stevie Les Paulson
   ((((Tangerine Blew the doors off the ash can tonight. It reminded me of the Wild West days. The music was so polished and the crowd is insane "in a good way" I got this shot of Lou Spag so focused. See this band...))))


::::::::Monique Lebel'Deacon..
... Good for you Louie. I knew you guys would do good. You guys have incredible music I remember when i went to see you a little while back.


:::::::::::Beth Hayes
It was my first time seeing you guys last night. Thank you...thank you...thank you!!! It's not everyday you get to watch and listen to very talented musicians play some of the best tunes EVER! I can't wait to see you guys again

There were plenty more great comments but I thought this Blog page should generate   more comments from fans, 

To my Tangerine Friends Ill see ya soon and if not I'll make it to the anniversary party for sure!
Boston Michael

7 comments:

  1. If you like real classic rock you can't go wrong with Tangerine! Sometimes you forget about certain tunes and you'll go see Tangerine and you'll come away saying, "Why haven't i listened to that in so long?". Needless to say, side 2 of Abbey Road has been receiving much love on my ipod lately! Great job guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arguably the best cover band I've ever seen. Period!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I saw Tangerine I was blown away. I went to the Ash can alone to say hi to my friend Lou and listen to his music for a while, but I had to stay all night. They were (are) sooo tight, playing some of the best rock I have heard in a long time, and some songs I haven't heard for a long time. Wish I could make it to every gig! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting back into this blog....which haven't been touched since my bro Boston Michael started in 2012. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This Blog is coming Back !! 5-1-2021

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you havre an email list I can get on?

    ReplyDelete